I think it’s time to start calling the Bush administration the Know Nothings. From King of Zembla Why Rumsfeld Can’t Read: If he did, he might be expected to answer a question every once in a blue moon. The wit and wisdom of our modern-day Sergeant Schultz, culled from “Rummy Rules,” a highly amusing TomDispatch by Nick Turse
* I have not read the report, and I think I’ll leave it there. And I have been quite busy this morning, and I wasn’t able to see any of the testimony.
* My problem is that number one, it’s not something I’ve read, it’s not something I’ve been briefed on… I’m afraid I’ve responded as fully as I’m currently capable of doing.
* Well, I haven’t seen the poll. I’ve seen polls that say very much the opposite of that.
* I have no idea. I’ve never heard anything like that and it wouldn’t be the Department of Defense that would be involved anyway.
* I know nothing about the front-page Washington Post article.
* [Y]es, of what you’re saying, I’m not in a position to comment on because I just have no knowledge of it.
* I have no idea. I don’t know about the protest. I have seen — there are various —
* Well, I don’t — I don’t think I have, but I don’t know. I’d have to check. And I don’t know that I’d answer it if I did find out that we had. But I don’t believe we have.
* [H]ad there been anything like that, I would have heard something of it, and I’ve never heard of anything like that.
* I don’t think I have, but I don’t know. I’d have to check.
* I didn’t read the article.
* I have not followed what’s been — I’ve not read these articles.
* You don’t believe everything you read in the newspaper, do you?
Does anybody know if Donald Rumsfield has ever given a straight answer to a staight question?
I’d also like to plug a recent post by King of Zembla. If you haven’t read Joe Bageant’s “How to Stop Losing,” treat yourself to One Last Kick at Liberal Dogs –Just to Hear Them Bark